On April 5th I had the pleasure of seeing former Los Abandoned frontwoman Pilar Diaz give an intimate three song performance at Site LA in Silverlake. The show was the inauguration of a concept known as siteStage where musicians perform short sets that are videotaped for web broadcast and distribution. Pilar, or Lady P as you may have known her before, baptized the project as she sang some of her latest solo works. The show began with a gameboy/rudeboy version of “Friday the 13th” which was, as we hip hop heads would say, a banger! The slick groove jam “El Otro Yo,” followed and Pilar ended the afternoon set with “Perdido.” I had a nice existential moment during “Perdido,” which is an emotionally piercing song, as the sun shone through the high windows of siteStage to only illume me as if to say I had been found! Speaking of finding me, Pilar asked me to interview her for the youtube video of her performance to which I readily accepted. In the siteStage youtube video, Pilar is indeed responding to my questions, but I’ve been cut out! So try and “find” me in the video. (Hint: some chuckles and quick shots of my black long sleeve shirt! ha ha)
- Anaheim Funk Jam of the Week!
- Charges Dropped Against the “GIAC 2”
- Subversive Historian – 08/28/09
- Cordero Returns to the West Coast!
- Subversive Historian – 08/27/09
- Last Lila Update
- Subversive Historian – 08/26/09
- Subversive Historian – 08/25/09
- Update: Lila Downs Cancelation!
- Interview with Lila Downs!
- Diary of a Bad Housewife
- Gustavo Arellano – Radio Blog
- Kimchurry: Spicy Hot Political Commentary
- Latin American Activism
- OC Weekly – Navel Gazing
- Pilar Diaz: Singer/Songwriter
- Sallywood Art
- Sonali and Jim
- Soon 2B Healthy
- Subversify Magazine
- The Exiled: Daily Inquisitions
- To the Curb
- Trees and Youth